Protect Your Family from Lead in Your Home

Protect Your Family from Lead in Your Home

As one with a growing family, it is important to do research when looking to purchase a bigger home. Many homes that were built before the year 1978 utilized lead-based paint, which could pose major health problems for your family. Fortunately, there are laws where sellers, contracts, and landlords have to warn a buyer or tenant about the hazards of lead-based paints in the house or apartment. It is important to protect your family from lead in your home, knowing the symptoms and health issues that arise from lead, and taking the appropriate measures to stay healthy and safe.

Health Problems from Exposure to Lead

There are a few ways where lead can enter ones system. Lead dust from deteriorating lead-based paint could be inhaled or ingested leading to harmful problems such as:

  • Brain and nervous system damage
  • Behavior problems
  • Stunted growth in bone and muscle
  • Headaches, migraines, and hearing deterioration
  • Fertility problems
  • Exposure to lead during a pregnancy is dangerous for the developing fetus
  • High blood pressure
  • Stomach and digestion problems
  • Joint and muscle pain and poor muscle coordination

Anyone can get sick from lead poisoning but very young children are the most susceptible to the dangers of lead poisoning. Since children are more likely to ingest random objects, they can end up being lead paint chips that have come off from aging walls. You could also contact a pediatrician or health care provider to test your children for lead through a simple blood test. As long as the lead-based paint is intact, which means there is no wear, chipping, or cracking, then children are less likely to have health risks. However, it is better to be safe and keep painted surfaces in good condition.

Protect Your Family from Lead in Your Home
Check your home for lead-based paint and make sure it is intact and not chipping, cracking, or peeling.

Keep Your Home Clean

To learn more about your home, it is important to get it checked for hazards by a certified inspector and regularly clean surfaces such as windowsills, floors, etc. that could collect dust. Remove dirt from shoes before coming into the house and keep it clean by maintaining good hygiene and a cleanly environment in order to protect your family from lead in your home.